Saturday, December 12, 2015

Sierra Leone Eating Rituals

The book Wild Flower gives the reader a detailed description of Sierra Leone, and culture in Africa. They have different rituals and customs when it comes to food and eating than we do in the United States.

"The house-girl brought a fork for me before I could extend my hand to wash in the colorful water basin at the center of the table, which would have indicated that I too was going to join the African men in using my hand to eat. My father's eyes traced the ambassador's plate, then mine, showing me how once more I had failed him, acting like 'the white man.' I tried very hard to swallow" (Smart 47).

"It was neither the smell of the food, nor its slimy appearance, but the speed with which those people ate using their hands and licking their fingers that must disgusted me. I went hungry that day, unable to join the rest of the children in their eating ritual" (Smart 61-62).

In many countries, including parts of Africa and India, it is expected to eat with your hands. Nina Smart was (in a way) ignoring the African culture by using a fork, which caused her father to be disappointed in her. 





No comments:

Post a Comment